Sunday, August 2, 2015

The Heir by Kiera Cass book review



The Heir
Kiera Cass



                The Heir is the fourth book of The Selection series. The story follows Eadlyn, the first child/daughter of King Maxon and Queen America. This makes her automatically becomes the heir of the thrones. The castes system has been removed but the riots are still happening out there. This makes the whole kingdom really nervous. Someone came up with an idea to make another Selection; although this time the contestants are 35 boys, not girls. Eadlyn very disagree with the idea of being surrounded by 35 boys, who either wanted to be with her so badly, or her crown. But for the sake of her parents and not wanting to worry them even more, she sacrificed herself and agreed about The Selection being held once more.

                The premise is actually very promising and interesting. Kiera Cass is a great writer whose writing style I adore because it is beautiful and easy to read. I really like the idea of a new kind of Selection, and seeing how the boys handle Eadlyn, vice versa. But it turns out not as spectacular as what I thought would be. One of the reasons is because I am not really fond of Eadlyn’s character. She is meant to be this strong, in-control yet gracious woman but I hardly find any ‘gracious’ in her. At times, she can be conceited and other times being self-absorbed, spoiled princess. I didn’t really like how she treated the people around her. I can relate to her condition and do understand how she feels and how hard it must be to be a princess, handle 35 boys and prepare herself to be the next queen all at the same time, but sometimes I feel like I want to shake her shoulder so badly. Despite that, I like how Kiera Cass makes Eadlyn character rich with capabilities. She can do a lot of things and good at it which really adds the spice to the story.

                Maxon and America did not have much appearance in the book as they are not the main characters anymore and maybe because of that, I feel like they have lost their personality. I feel like they are just the king and queen and not Maxon and America. Anyway, much can happen during the time between The One and The Heir so I totally understand about that.

                The thing really keeps me going and interested of the story is the life background of the boys; how they come from different social groups, how their condition at home, what they’re interested at, etc. The story of these boys is really diverse and it’s very amusing. I really like some of the boys in this book; some of them are really strange and quirky while some are cute.

                Overall, I think The Heir is an entertaining book, but I can’t say it is as special as the previous three. Anyway, I’m still eager about upcoming books or companion novels. I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars for I think this book slightly raised the idea of feminism, which is totally great! Don’t forget to add me on goodreads and see what book I’m going to read next. THANKS! 
“I'm not sure anyone knows what they're looking for until they find it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment