Thursday, March 5, 2015

Book Review: Legend by Marie Lu



LEGEND



Date Published: November 29th 2011
Published by: Putnam Juvenile
Pages: 305 pages
Goodread review: 4.19/5

Goodreads summary:
What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Legend is the first book of The Legend series by Marie Lu. I think this book is very enjoyable and compelling to read. The first few chapters is a little bit slow paced for me and I find myself slightly difficult to grasp the idea of this dystopian world and imagine what they look like, partly due to the fact that I just read other dystopian series a few days or weeks before. But the rest of the story is very entertaining and breathtaking. I love that there are so many aspects to this book such as mystery, action, politics and romance. I especially love how Marie Lu describes the system in the Republic. Even though as I said it took me a short while to adapt to the story, it is very easy for me to get into this world of Day and June.

There are two main characters in this book as the book was told from their point of views, which are Day and June. Day is a unique character that has his own reasons for doing the things he did. He comes from the poor sector and he’s a fugitive of the Republic. Despite that, he’s a very intelligent teenage boy. And slick too. He’s very much aware of what actually happened behind the ‘good old’ Republic and that’s why he hates the governments. June, on the other hand, comes from the wealthy sector of the country. She’s a prodigy with a perfect Trial score. Unlike Day, she has always put her faith in her beloved country and trust whatever the country says. 

The characters in this book are very realistic and well thought out. Day is easy to relate and likeable. I love how sassy he gets at some point. He’s very smart, charming and irresistible. The things he thought and aware at times is very spot-on. He easily became one my favorite character throughout the book. June started off a little bit obnoxious for me. Even though she’s a prodigy, she can be such a troublesome to the Republic. But never once has it ever cross her mind to betray or question about the whole system. Both June and Day are very smart and firm which is why this book is full of action, twist and unpredictable things. Their traits and personalities remind me a lot of Sherlock Holmes. The other character that I like is Metias, June's brother. He's very wise and I do wish that there was more story of him. The plot and mystery in this book itself is awe inspiring. It makes you keep guessing about what’s going to happen next. 

I really like how Marie Lu able to put some politics aspects to the story. The story in general is full of actions,secrets and dirty politics. The system of the Republic feels very real to me. I was very mad at some point I had to remind myself not to throw the book away, not because the book was bad but because of what happened in the story could easily happen in real life too! Anyway, it makes the book even more interesting to read. But I do hope that there would be more stories about the other characters and their background story in the second book, Prodigy.

Overall, I would give this page-turner a 4.6/5 star. Marie Lu is a very talented author and I have high hopes for this series. I hope that there will be even more character developments and lots and lots of unexpected plot twist in the second and third book, which I can’t wait to read! I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys Young Adult book, especially Dystopian and action.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment